What is a Giving Circle?
The concept is as simple as it is powerful. A giving circle is formed when individuals come together, combine their dollars in a shared fund, decide collectively where to give the money, and learn about their community and philanthropy.
- Donors pool their money
- Donors decide, together, where that money is given
- Donors learn about their community’s needs, nonprofit organizations, and philanthropy.
- It’s fun to come together with like-minded friends and acquaintances. Giving circles have a social and networking function beyond their immediate task of giving away money.
- Learn about your community: Most people don’t really know what the most pressing issues are in their communities, nor do they know which organizations are out there doing good work. This is a chance to find out.
- Demystify Philanthropy – learn about giving and grantmaking: giving circles go through careful processes to make decisions about their grants. It’s enlightening to be part of those conversations and deliberations.